For this episode of Planet MicroCap Podcast, I spoke with Tobias Carlisle, the Founder and Managing Partner of Carbon Beach Asset Management LLC, and he serves as Chief Investment Officer. I met Tobias at a conference recently, where we discussed doing an interview for the podcast. I didn’t know much about Tobias at the time, but upon further research, along with his work at Carbon Beach Asset Management, he’s also a published author having written three books on topics ranging from: deep value investing, activism, concentrated investing, and contrarian investing. These are all topics I want to learn about from him for the podcast. The goal for this episode is to learn about what deep value investing means, and a couple other key phrases we’ve heard a few times on this podcast and how they relate to MicroCap stock investing.
The Planet MicroCap Podcast is brought to you by SNN Incorporated, publishers of StockNewsNow.com, The Official MicroCap News Source, and the MicroCap Review Magazine, the leading magazine in the MicroCap market - check out the latest issue here: MicroCap Review Fall 2016
In this episode, Tobias and I discuss the following topics:
- Tobias' background and experience investing in MicroCap stocks
- What does “deep value” investing mean?
- There’s a couple key phrases that have been mentioned on the podcast: “activism” and “contrarian” – what do these terms mean and why are they relevant to MicroCap investing?
- In his book, “Deep Value”, Tobias discusses why activist investors and other contrarians battle for control of losing corporations, what is the reason for this?
- What are the deep-value investment principles that Carbon Beach employs?
- With that philosophy in mind, what is then the investment process?
- What experience he draws upon that helped shape his investing philosophy
- Advice for new MicroCap investors
For more information about Tobias Carlisle, please visit any one of the following: