For this episode of the Planet MicroCap Podcast, I spoke with Brent Cook from Exploration Insights. One of the first conferences I went to since joining the business was a mining and resources conference back in 2011 and 2012 during the natural resources bull market. During that time, I was meeting a lot of experts in the field, and the one person I gravitated towards most was my guest on today’s show, Brent Cook. Geology is not an exact science, and picking the right company that has a promising resource can be difficult. It helps learning from geologists who analyze and look at these rocks on a daily basis. Brent has been in the business for a long time and has seen a lot of rocks.
The goal for this episode is to get a general understanding of the mining and junior mining sector, the business itself, opportunities when investing in junior mining companies, his criteria, tips to analyzing mining results and PEA’s, and more.
The Planet MicroCap Podcast is brought to you by SNN Incorporated, publishers of StockNewsNow.com, The Official MicroCap News Source, and the MicroCap Review Magazine, the leading magazine in the MicroCap market - check out the latest issue here: MicroCap Review Winter/Spring 2016
In this episode, Brent and I discuss the following topics:
- His background and how he got into the mining and junior mining space
- Overview of the junior mining sector. Why is space important and why he is so focused here?
- How the business of mining, natural resources work. Brief history on the significance of metals as both a currency and industrial good
- Cyclical nature of resources industry
- His advice for those who don’t have that geology background
- Describes the opportunities when investing in junior mining companies. Different stages for these companies
- His criteria when looking at a potential investment in a junior mining microcap company
- Tips to analyzing mining results and PEA’s
- Characteristics should beginning investors look out for in mining management - both positive and negative
- What investing experience he learned from the most
- Resources that helps him when doing research and due diligence
- Advice for new MicroCap investors looking at mining and junior mining industry